Friday 29 July 2011

Circumnavagating Manhatten

This morning we went for breakfast as usual in the hotel.  I was going to get up early, as 'Journey' were playing a free live show outside the filming of the Today show.  I decided it would probably be packed and I'm really glad I didn't do it now - people were queuing from 2.30am to get into the area where they filmed it.  Also they have a new lead singer now - so it's not quite the same.  I ended up watching the performance on TV anyway.  Rob and I then went down to the wharf to get the Circle Line ferry.  It is a three hour tour that takes you right around the Island of Manhattan, it's really cool, and I totally recommend it.  You get really close to the Statue of Liberty, and get a feel for the size of the Island, which is incidentally 13 miles long and 2 miles wide.  There is an amazing amount of people, buildings etc in such a compact area - it's quite incredible.
It was a little overcast - but still really warm, so it was a good time to go and tick that off the list.  When we got back Rob made us some lunch in the hotel room, we had some delicious meatballs and salad, which set us all up for the afternoon.  R & J then went back to the Apple store, to continue to sort out the transfer of files etc from one computer to another.  I was going to go to Madison Square gardens but they are closed while they renovate, so instead I went to the 'Top of the Rock' (Observation deck at the Rockefeller centre) It was cool, there were no cues so I was able to go straight up,  There was still a little cloud around so it wasn't as clear as it could have been but the conditions improved while I was up there.  It's cool when you get into the elevator, as it all looks normal, and then the roof to the lift becomes clear and you can see straight up the lift shaft, which they colour with flashing lights and stuff.
(Again - LOTS more photos on facebook, if you want to see more of the view).  After that, I thought I would go over and find the subway grate, famous for blowing up the dress of Marilyn Monroe in the picture everyone knows. I found the corner the picture was taken on, and took a photo of the subway grate - but there was nothing to show that, that is where it occurred.  I expected a plaque or something?? I then walked up to the Trump Tower to check it out and take a photo, before walking back to the Hotel.  On the way I noticed that one of the big screens in times square was showing live footage of people on the square, so I took a few photos there and waved and yahoo'd it was classic.  Here is a little game for you; Where's Mizzle???

Once back at the hotel I made contact with Steve and Cyan, we arranged to met in the bar in the hotel foyer, Cyans brother and sister, were also there, and Michelle and Jeremy met us as well.  So it was cool catching up with everyone.  Especially great to see Steve & Cyan, as they are the reason we are here, and I love them so much. 









I had to mission off though, as I needed to go and meet Rob and Joan at the 'Book of Mormon' just as I left there was an epic rain storm, probably the heaviest rain i have been in, in a long time, it was intense!!  My clothes got absolutely soaked. Here I am looking like a drowned rat, right outside the theatre - then the rain bloody stopped!  When I say soaked, I mean SOAKED.

So there was no way I could go to the show like that, I had to buy a 'Book Of Mormon" T-shirt from the merchandise stand, before going in.  I then went and got changed in the restroom.
The 'Book of Mormon' was so, so funny.  What a great show.  It really had that South Park sense of humour, if you get a chance to see it - you definitely should.  My stepmother (who is a legend) bought tickets earlier in the year, before the show had even had it's first performance.  Since then it has won 9 Tony Awards, and is currently sold out in New York until April 2012.   I was so lucky to be able to see it, and I really loved it.  My Dad bought a T-shirt as well, and the CD of the show, so I have been able to load that on to my itunes as well.  Heaps of fun.  After the show we were going to go for dinner, Rob and Joan found a nice Thai place, but my boxer shorts were still soaked from the earlier rain shower, so I decided to pass on dinner, and come back to the hotel to get changed and hang up my wet shirt to dry,  I was going to meet Steve, but we decided to rain check until the morning.  So I uploaded some photo's and then went down to get some pizza before returning home to write the blog.   While out for pizza, a fight broke out right in front of me - I have no idea why, but these guys were absolutely wailing on each other.  It was intense, heaps of people starting chanting "Fight, fight" (like a school yard dispute) and all these phones came out - not to call the cops..... everyone just starting filming it and taking photo's! I didn't have my phone or camera, so I could not get involved either way, although I did stand a way back from the crowd, and watched it go down for a while.  It's Friday night in New York, and i don't know if that's an indication of more to come or not, but I got my pizza, and missioned back home to write this.  I must say however, that my impressions of New Yorkians, was very wrong.  I imagined aggression, people in a hurry, people being rude and not giving you the time of day, but i couldn't be more wrong.  The people here are awesome.  They are really helpful and courteous on the most part.  I have been really impressed with the people I have met, and even the people i have just stood back and observed. 
You gotta love New York, and I really do!!

No comments: