Wednesday 27 July 2011

New York, New York, big city of dreams!

I *heart* New York!! Due to the slight difference in time zone and the fact that I am so excited about being here, I ended up going to sleep sometime around 1.30am.  I was awake by 5.00am, tried to catch a few more z's but by 6am I couldn't take it anymore and had to get amongst it.  I got up and took a shower and then knocked on R & J's door.  I think they were a little surprised to see me up so early too, but they were totally keen to seize the day, so we all rocked down for breakfast at the hotel.  Here we discussed plans for the day, and Joan and I decided we should knock off the outlet store (for a variety of reasons that all made perfect sense).  So we went to get a return bus ticket to an outlet store in an area called Woodbury Common , It was about an hour bus drive out of New York, and it was cool to check out the country side on the way over.   It was just me and Joan, Rob decided he didn't need to shop today and so he went to the apple store (Which is open 24 hours a day here) and got himself a new ipad, and went on his own missions around Manhattan.  Now those of you that know me well, will know that I am not the greatest of shoppers at the best of times - but today............ I shopped my face off.  I mean I shopped like I have never shopped before, lets call it shopping with wild abandon!
Here is a photo of my purchases after about 2 hours.  I met up with Joan at lunch time - and I had to pull the pin on myself.  We decided that Joan would continue to shop and I would take the 1.30pm bus back into Manhattan, so we enjoyed a nice lunch together and went our separate ways, this is when I noticed I had not been to the Addidas store yet, and couldn't help myself.  So I went and made another purchase and caught the 2.10pm bus back instead.  Now as I mentioned earlier I had had about 5 hours sleep at most, and so when I got on the bus and it started moving - like a toddler being driven around the block by it's mother to get some respite - I was asleep in 2 minutes max.  I woke myself occasionally with the old drooping head buzz, but all in all I was crashed out HARD.   I woke when we got back in the city, and went up to the hotel to drop off my purchases, have a shower and get into some new gears.  I then went to Rob's room to see if he was around, and he and I went for a bit of a walk.  We went to check out the hotel that I am staying in from Sunday to Wednesday next week, which is a crazy place - but their will be more on that when I get there, so i will save that story for later.   By now I was in text communication with two of my favourite people on the planet, and arranged to meet them on a street corner.
We then cruised down to my hotel, as they have free drinks and snacks from 5 -7pm on certain nights.

Great time spent over drinks sharing travel stories, then we split our different ways, R & J and I made our way to the theatre to see Avenue Q, and Jeremy and Michelle went to see Billy Bragg performing a free gig.   Avenue Q was awesome, so cool going to see live theatre in New York city, it was a great production and I absolutely loved it - I am so so lucky, and thankful to my folks for sharing it with me (I have four more Broadway shows to go to over the next few nights!) We then went to go and get a spot of dinner, but just before ordering I received a text from Jeremy suggesting a nightcap, so I excused my self, and went on a mission to go and meet them. We went to a nice Irish bar that will probably end up being our default setting for when we get stuck for things to do - or need to reassess what to do next. 
It's such a special feeling when travelling to not only be able to hang out with your family, but also have special friends in town, so we spent a few hours enjoying the atmosphere, and vibing off each others energy, and the energy that the city that never sleeps provides.  Now, I am back at the hotel, it's 1.30am local time, and chances are I will be back up again in a few hours (I can catch up with sleep some other time - this place keeps you rocking like the energizer bunny).
Once again, I will post a bunch more photo's on my facebook page.   Thanks for having a read.  Tomorrow the plan is to check out Central Park with Rob, which will be great.  Then watching the Lion King in the evening, which I am incredibly excited about.  

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba [There comes a lion]
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama [Oh yes, it's a lion]
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba [There comes a lion]
 Sithi uhhmm ingonyama [Oh yes, it's a lion]
Ingonyama
 Siyo Nqoba [We're going to conquer]
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabaal [It's a lion and a tiger]
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala (Se-to-kwa!)
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala (Asana)
Take care one and all, much love,
Dan x x
P.S: I bought lots of things today, Bought with no R, cause that would be brought - which is much different - thanks Joan, Love Ya x x

No comments: