Thursday 28 July 2011

Hakuna Matata

Well Steve Job's has done well out of my family during this trip.  Since buying my ipad my Dad has brought one and my step mother has brought a new Mac Book Air, so to start the day, I became the family IT support network. 
We checked out the Apple store for quite some time, the store is amazing and the staff are fantastic, such good support and advice, it's really cool.  My step mother had to go and pick up her laptop so that could transfer all her data over for her, So Rob and I went for a stroll around central park, we really only did the far end as we wanted to stay around the same area, and meet back up with Joan to help her during the final stages of her purchase.  We walked to Strawberry Fields and checked out the memorial for John Lennon.  Rob and i hang around the edges of a tour party to get in on a bit of the local knowledge around it.  Turns out John Lennon was shot outside his apartment (as we all know) he was taken to hospital and after they tried to restart his heart he was pronounced dead.  Laying in the room next to him was a TV producer who had had a bike accident or something and he overheard that Lennon had died.  He rang his TV company with the scoop (or the 'skinny' as they call it in these parts).  It was a Monday night and in America Monday nights are big football nights.  They broke the news for the first time, during a broadcast of one of these football games.  Fairly out of it piece of trivia right there.  Anyway's we missioned back to the Apple store, and met Joan.  After all that was sorted we went to FAO Shawrtz as it is right behind the Apple store, and I wanted to see the Big floor piano, as that is the rendezvous point at midday on Saturday, when a bunch of the kiwi crew hit town.   Rob and Joan had never heard of the piano - or seen the movie BIG, so they had no idea what I was talking about - which I was surprised by.

We then went for a spot of lunch, and I ordered a Philly Cheese Steak, which was pretty bloody good to be honest.  After lunch Joan continued to shop and Rob and I took a subway train out to Coney Island.  It took about an hour to get out there, but it was worth the trip.  There was a really big Boulevard along the beach front and heaps of people out sunbathing and swimming.   There are also heaps of old school rides, and a Hot Dog stand called Nathan's.  This is where they have the Hot dog eating championship every year, which is a massive event these days.   They have been making Hot dogs since 1916, and are a pretty massive chain these days.
They have the stats on who won each year and how many dogs they managed to eat in 10 minutes.  It started back in 1988 When Jay Green smashed back 13 hot dogs.  The new champion is called Joey Chestnut and in 2009 he wolfed down 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes, which is a hot dog every 10 seconds or so - bun and all.  How crazy is that!!! Anyway we decided we better try one of these dogs, So Rob and I did a taste test - they were actually really good.
So we hung out at the beach for a while then jumped back on the Subway into the city.  Once back we mucked around on various bits of technology for a while, then went down to the Hotel dining area for two hours of free drinks and snacks.  Following that we headed to the theatre to watch the Lion King!!!!!

What an incredible production...... Now, I Love the Lion King, I always have, I have probably seen the movie at least 20 times, I have the soundtrack, the works.  So I was really excited to see it on stage, and I was not disappointed.  It was mind blowingly good.  Incredible costumes, awesome music and some amazing special effects and production.  We were 6 rows from the stage, and it couldn't have been more perfect.  If you ever get a chance to see it, I recommend it, especially if you can see it in New York!! It was a sold out 1700 pax theatre, and the crowd gave the performers a standing ovation at the end.  FANTASTIC!  So that's another blog under my belt for the day, I am feeling really exhausted due to having about 10 -12 hours sleep over the last 48 hours.  Its just hit midnight here, and I am going to crash out big time!!  Me and Rob are going on a three hour ferry tour in the morning which goes around the whole island of Manhattan, so that's exciting, then tomorrow evening we are going to "The Book of Mormon' which is the hot ticket in town at the moment.  It is the new musical from the writers of South Park.  It won 9 Tony awards this year - and has been sold out ever since.  So that should be great fun.  Steve and Cyan are driving down to New York tomorrow, and Jussie, Lezmond, Jodi, and Nell, all arrive into town around midnight, so I am looking forward to catching up with the crew on Saturday.   So sweet dreams, take care one and all, and say hi to your Mum for me.
Mizzle :-)

No comments: