Sunday 24 July 2011

San Fran Lazy Sunday

Hi all, I hope you are enjoying my blog, I think I have enabled people to be able to leave comments now, so if you feel like leaving me a note - please do.  Anyway's here's the latest;
Last night I did go out and see Captain America.  It was pretty cool, I especially enjoyed the teaser after the credits lol. Going to the movies here is cheap as - with the current exchange rate, and the theatres are plush as.  Really nice comfy seats and big screens.  It's certainly a bit different going out in the evening, you need to be on your toes a little more, the homeless people are a bit more intense, actually everyone is ha ha, but my solution to that is putting on some headphones, rocking some hip hop and keeping eye contact to a minimum, when ever you think someone is a little suspect.  I haven't listened to solid hip hop for a long time, and I am loving reconnected with some of the albums I have.  Anyway I woke up this morning, feet a little sore, and sunburn popping off, (my neck is the most burnt) so first thing on the agenda was getting some sunscreen. I didn't have much of a plan, but I decided I would go and try my luck down at the Giants stadium, and see if I could hustle a ticket.  I didn't have any luck.
You see, the Giants won the World Series last year, and so they are really popular,  the game was sold out and I found out later that most of the games are sold out, which is out of it, because they play HEAPS. the regular season is insane and the teams play just about everyday - I had no idea.  Anyway, I wondered around outside and enjoyed the atmosphere, there are lots of guys asking for spare tickets, and I'm pretty sure they then scalp them on to tourists.  One massive dude offered my 'standing only' tickets for $80, and there is no-way I wanted to go that badly.  (You can go over the Bay Bridge to an Oakland athletics game and get in no worries for about $5 - but they weren't playing).  I also had a camera fail - and went out with a flat battery, so only had my iphone to take pictures, that was ok though.

Hmmm, what to do next??? I wandered over the road and went to an Irish sports bar, It was quite out of it, watching all the fans getting liquored up before midday on a Sunday, on the way to the game. I had a couple of Stella pints there, which were lovely and cold - it was seriously hot here today and they went down a treat. I watched a number of people order a drink by a Mexican name, I cant remember what it was called but it is basically tomato juice mixed with Budweiser, I couldn't believe it, and had to ask the guy next to me if that was actually what they were drinking.  Sounds pretty bloody disgusting to me, and this is one time that the phrase 'when in rome' was not going to apply to me.
So a couple of beers under my belt and I decided to get back out into the sun and do a slow wander back to Union Square.  I have been wearing a Biggie Smalls T-shirt that I brought the other day, that says "Going, going, back back, to Cali Cali" I love it.  A guy at a stall selling Giants merchandise noticed it and made comment - something about how Biggie was shot in California and he probably wishes he didn't come back - and then some sly comment about NY - cracked me up, because I think he just presumed I must have come from NY - until I opened my mouth.  He was all good though. Then I found myself at the Apple store, what an amazing place - really busy and heaps of staff.  I have been reading about 'Love Brands' lately, brands such as Harley Davidson and Apple, and you can certainly tell that they know what they are doing.  They had in store seminars teaching people about the products and all sorts of stuff.
So I spent a bit of time in there, and brought a couple of things, the most cash I have spent since being here, but I was always intending on a couple of big ticket items to reward myself with, so I have ticked that off my list.  :-)  It was cool too because the customer service is incredible, they helped me set up my gears and even helped me sort out a few things on my iphone that I had no idea about.  So that is running heaps better now - (not that I noticed it wasn't)

Next I walked back through Union Square, I decided I should go and drop some stuff at the Hostel as I didn't want to be carrying them around in my bag all day (I didn't want to get mugged either lol).  On the way I came across a free circus act performing in the square, a troupe of English tumbler/juggler/acrobat type cats, so I stayed and watched them for a bit.
Back to the hostel to drop some stuff off, I got into my room and couldn't resist a little play with my new toys.  I then realised I was actually quite stuffed, the sun I have been basking in had taken it out on me, and a couple of beers probably didn't help so I crashed out for a couple of hours in my room.  I woke up a bit later and listened to some tunes and read my book for a while (currently reading "Life" by Keith Richards - Its awesome.)
Then at about 8pm I went and got some supplies from the local store and wandered down to find a place for dinner.  I ended up at a really nice Thai place.

They had a TV on in there which was playing a Streetball game, it was great and I was right in my element watching it.  The series is ballupstreetball.com pretty much like the old And1 stuff - even had some of the same players.  Now to be honest as a mid 30's guy, and a newbie to the whole travel game, I was quite nervous about touring around by myself.  I am really enjoying the experience though, you have lots of time to think and take things in, and you can just kind of go with the flow and do what you want. So although your not sharing the experience with someone I find that it is still really special and enjoyable.  On that note I think San Fran is a great place to start, as it is a fairly laid back and mellow city,  I cant wait to get to New York, I'm pretty sure it is going to be another level all together but I'm more than up for it, and looking forward to seeing my family, and friends. Anyway I digress, dinner was lovely and the drinks are cheap! I had a primo chardonnay for $4, you can also get bottled beers for about $3.50 - you cant beat that! Tipping is a funny thing as well, I have a new strategy of asking the waitress to take a photo, might as well get as much service as you can for your extra $2 bucks or so - ha ha - cheap, hustlin Kiwi!!
So that was my fairly lazy day, chilling out now and knocking back some peanut butter M&M's (they also have coconut flavour and pretzel flavour - which is a salty, sweet snack, pretty random, will get some to take back for Judder Bars, cause he will be into them - ha ha).  Last day in the beautiful city of San Fran, and I think I will go and check out Lombard St - kinda one of those things you just have to do -  and then I might go back to Fisherman's Wharf, it was cool down there, and I'm sure there is more to see.  Thanks again for reading my blog, It is really just a journal for me to reflect on when I get back home - but I love being able to share it - so sorry if its a bit of a waffle.  Take care everyone, and I will catch you on the next blog - 2 more sleeps until I get to the location I have dreamed of going to since I was a teenager - New York - The home of hip hop!  So things are going to get interesting.  Lots of Love. Mizzle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome blog, really enjoying it. Look forward to reading it each day. Keep it up. Pinch.

jarrod said...

The home of hip-hop? I always knew you were East Coast.