Tuesday 30 August 2011

Almost Time To Go Home - Thanks America, Great Country, Great People.



Well, this is the second to last blog I guess, and I don’t imagine tomorrow’s will be anything to write home about (See what I did there) although I may do a top five in different categories or something, will think about it while I’m waiting at the airport. I am looking forward to seeing everyone back home though.  Anyway woke up early this morning and I was at the gates for Disney by 7.30am for the ‘Magic Mornings’ – turns out there were probably at least 2000 people there waiting as well, but it still worked out well and I managed to get a bunch of rides in early on in the day.  It was a great day actually because I was not rushing around trying to get as much in as I could, lots of just walking around both parks and checking out people and attractions I hadn’t looked at before.  The queues to get on rides are almost a ride in themselves, they wind around and zig and zag sometimes for ages, and you pass things to keep you amused on the way.  Sometimes you wait for 40 minutes to get on a ride that only lasts for about 3 minutes.  One of the things that cracks me up is the amount of obese people in mobility scoters that you see the elderly driving back home.   They clog up the waiting lines and roll slowly along looking awful, then they get up out of these things and squeeze their massive frames into the seats on rides, most times there is nothing wrong with them – I mean they are not disabled or anything they are just incredibly lazy, if they walked around for a while they might lose some weight.  Another funny thing, are parents who yell at their kids to go stand here, look at this, look at me, while they are trying to take photos and all these kids want to do is have some fun and run around being kids, some of the faces these kids pull are hilarious.  Anyway here is the rundown of the rides I went on today, in the order I rode them;
Star Wars, Star Tours: Rode this twice in a row first thing in the morning, this was the third ride I have taken on them and every time it has been different – that’s a pretty awesome touch.
Space Mountain: Third time
Big Thunder: 2nd Time
Winnie The Pooh: Funny little kids ride, I was the only one on the whole train so the staff were cracking up, but I had a good time.
Splash Mountain: 2nd time
Mickeys Train around the Park: This was actually pretty cool, there are a bunch of things you wouldn’t see unless on the train.  It was good fun.
Raft To Pirates Lair: This was cool, it takes you to an Island in the middle of the park and you can walk around and explore it – lots of hidden gems all over the place, pretty neat.
Tiki Room Show: This is a fun old school show, mechanical birds, and tikis singing some songs, pretty funny.
Matterhorn Bobsleds: This was awesome, it has been closed the last two days for seasonal repairs and I was told it was due to open on the 2nd of September, so I’m glad I got a chance to ride it, lucky to cause as soon as I got off they said they were having technical difficulties and closed it again for a couple of hours.
Over to California Disney
Toy Story Midway Games: This was the longest wait I had in line for a ride all day, it was awesome though, you ride around in little cars and wear 3D glasses.  You have a gun with a pulley type trigger and shot different 3D objects, sometimes hoops, sometimes darts, sometimes balls, and have to smash plates or balloons or hoops on characters and stuff, very clever technology.
Golden Zepher: Swing type ride
The Little Mermaid: Super cute (Don’t Judge me J)
Grizzly Rapids: 2nd time.  This time it got me good, I got well and truly soaked.  It’s the luck of the draw depending on which way the inner tube type thing you are on turns.
Back to Disneyland
Mad Hatters tea Cups: Everyone knows this one – had to be done – it’s a classic.
Then I went and had a walk through Mickey and Minnies house.  Another thing I just figured had to be done really.
Space Mountain: 4th time, and in the front row again – good score – its way better in the front.
Astro Orbitor: Another one that swings around in a circle – kind of old school.
Star Wars Star Tours: 4th time, this time it was a mix of a couple of the times I had been on before, but still had some new stuff as well, I have no idea how they do it, they must just juggle the different sections up somehow.
It was about 4pm by now and I had been at the park for 8 hours, was feeling hot and bothered and my shoes were still wet from the bloody Grizzly rapids earlier in the day, so I went back to the hotel to change, have an hours power nap, and went back to the parks at about 6pm.  Once back at the park, I had another ride on the Matterhorn, but took the different queue, as there are a couple of different tracks, then I caught a bit of the parade again and just wandered about for a while.  I then went back over to California Disney and had a beer and some dinner.   Didn’t realise there was a place there that I could have got beers at any time, was all good though as I didn’t feel like drinking today.  I then went and watched the ‘World of Colour’ again.  This time I just took it all in and didn’t worry about taking any pictures or anything.  It was not quite as good as the other night as there was a small breeze so the images didn’t come up quite as well, but it is still incredibly mind blowing and moving – I Love it!   I also stood a little further back, and there was all this stuff going on, that I didn’t even realise the other night as I was quite close, there were bubbles and extra lights and water sprays and stuff, pretty awesome.  On the way home I thought I would check out the Tron 3D show – which was disappointing as it was basically just a trailor for the movie that came out last year, the Tron area outside in the plaza is crazy though – great laser show and dance party type scenario, must be where the teenagers go to get away from their families. Now I’m back in my hotel – surfing the many channels for something decent.  I check out at midday tomorrow, so will spend the morning packing and chilling, then might sit by the pool for a while before heading out to LAX.  My flight leaves at 9pm, but I have gold lounge access, so will go early and chill out there.  I arrive back in Welly at 8am on Friday morning, so this is my last sleep in the US of A.   Seeya’ soon folks.  Miz.

No comments: