Thursday 18 August 2011

Boston - Great first Impression.

So we all set alarms this morning at 5am, to leave Toronto and make our way to Boston.  We arrived here at about 10.30am (I swear I saw a whale from the plane on the way in)   R & J dropped me at my accom, and continued on to where they are staying.  I was way too early so stashed my bags out the back of the office and made my way down to their hotel.  Boston is pretty amazing, it’s so clean, and the side streets are lined with trees and stuff, it is truly a beautiful city.   Once I met back up with R & J, We wandered down the street to the Provincial centre and rocked a bit of lunch from the food court. We did a bit of research there on the free Wi-Fi to decide the best tour to go on.  We have settled on the old school trolley tour, which means we can have a couple of days of free transport around the city, to see the sights and decide on the things we would really like to see, I have upgraded so that I can do a tour of Fenway park – the home of the red socks.  I am embracing the tours of stadiums, as they just seem to hold so much history.   We then went around a few stores and Joan brought me an amazing suit as an early Christmas present.  It will need a bit of tailoring when I get back home but it is definitely pretty slick looking (ladiesJ).  Full credit to both Rob & Joan.   I also went to a half-price ticket booth and got a ticket to go and see the “Blue Man Group”
After shopping for a while I left R & J and came back to the hostel to check in.  It is pretty nice in the foyer and the chill out areas, but my room is like a hospital suite.  I have taken some photos but will save those for personal re-telling.   Any way’s accom is for sleeping……… right?? So I took the chance to go and see some more of Boston.  I ended up in the park in the city (after much walking around to make sure I knew where the theatre was).  The central park here is so beautiful,  I must have seen about 50 Squirrels.  I have been so keen to see squirrels, and it’s safe to say that Boston delivered.   If you have been following my blog, you will know that I took a lot of photos of Niagara Falls, well………..if you come round for a slide show on my return back to NZ – there will also be a lot of shots of fluffy rodents ha ha.

I then wandered back through the city to a bar called ‘Lir’.  We found out earlier in the day that they may be playing the All Blacks Vs. South Africa game on Saturday morning, and I decided that I had better do some research and make sure that was true, ( lock it in).  So I stayed there for a few beers and a couple of ‘Old Fashions’ (free poured Makers Mark and $7 a pop – Gravy.)   I then made my way up to the theatre to watch the ‘Blue Man Group’.  It was a great show, really well done; however, when you are spoiled for shows, (as I have been) you become a bit critical.  Give Sam Wills (The Boy with tape on his face) a budget, and effects like they have, and you will get a much better show. Anyway, when I go to these shows by myself I like to meet my neighbours – so here they are;

Don’t get me wrong, it is definitely entertaining, but I’m glad I paid half price.  It ends up being a dance party for the audience, which is pretty cool.  It got out at before 10pm, so I decided I should go back to the ‘Lir’ for a last night cap.  By the time I got back, the place was popping off.  I sat at the bar and had a couple of beers and Makers or two, before wandering back home.
And here I am, I have managed plenty of walking, so my internal GPS unit is in synch.  Tomorrow we are doing a trolley tour, I have Fenway Park booked in to do at my leisure, and on Saturday there is a Red bull Cliff diving comp, going down on the waterfront.   All in all, my first impressions of Boston are very good.  There is a nice vibe in the city, and the traffic is mellow as.  Looking forward to watching the AB’s smash South Africa, while I smash some bacon and eggs in my face on Saturday morning.   Sorry if this blog is a little bit of a  ramble, but it’s just one of those nights.  Stay Well Whanau, Love you all. Miz x x

No comments: