Saturday 20 August 2011

Big Ups Boston - You are a great city

Howdy everyone – I have a couple of days of Boston blogs to catch up one – so here we go.  Yesterday was a cool day, I met up with R & J in the morning and we grabbed some breakfast before heading out on a Trolley tour of the city for the day.  It was good fun, and a great way to see the local sights.  We stopped down on the waterfront and then went on a Ferry cruise.  Following the cruise, we went to a marketplace and looked around before having some lunch in the ‘Cheers’ replica bar.  It was actually really nice food and at a reasonable price which was good.  We then got back on the Trolleys and continued the circuit the tours go on.  It had been a beautiful sunny day, but as we were coming back into the city a massive storm blew through.  High winds, hail and thunder and lightning and an absolute downpour of rain – it was intense.   It didn’t last all that long, probably 20 – 30 minutes but it certainly had some power behind it.   I have posted some photos on Facebook of the carnage that it left in its trail.  Late afternoon I bid farewell to R & J and came back to the hostel to take a nap.  I awoke around 6pm and had a shower and decided to head out again.  I didn’t have much of a plan of what I would do so I just followed my feet for a bit – which I always find is a bit of fun.  I walked down to check out a summer movie night event in one of the parks.  They were playing ‘Rango’ so I only stayed for 10 minutes or so.  I then wandered up to the original bar that ‘Cheers’ was based around and took a couple of photos.  By this stage I was opposite Boston Common, (The big central park) so I took an evening stroll through there which was nice.  I thought I would go and find a movie theatre and see what was on.  Once I found one I discovered that I had just missed the start times of anything I wanted to see, so kept walking some more.  I noticed a queue outside a venue so I wandered up and asked what was on.  It was a comedy show for $20, so I thought I would check it out.  The comics were a mixed bag but one of the guys really stood out.  He was a crack up.  He was introduced as being one of the top 5 people rated by comedy central as one s to watch in the future.  After the show I went and introduced myself to him and complimented him on his performance.  He is going to try and get down to our side of the world for the Melbourne comedy festival, so he gave me his digits and said he would be in touch via Facebook, so we can try and get him over for the NZ festival as well.   After the show I went back to the Lir bar for a nightcap, before retiring back to my hostel for a few ZZZZ’s.
This morning I had great intentions to go and take a tour of Fenway Park.   I walked the 5 miles or so to get there, and then found out that there were no tours on today as there were two minor league games being held there – BUGGER.   I walked back into the city and met up with R & J at the Apple store, where Joan was having a 1 on 1 lesson.  I used their computers to try and find somewhere to watch the rugby.  I thought I had found a place but they were playing the Wales vs. Argentina game, followed by the Ireland vs. France match – and they were charging a $10 cover charge.  I ended up finding something online which looked promising so I led a search party (consisting of just myself so it wasn’t that much of a search party per say).  I went to Champions Bar in the Marriot Hotel and after a bit of mucking about and explaining what I wanted to watch, they managed to find it for me.  It is a crazy sports bar with at least 17 channels playing different sports on all of them.  I sent a text to Rob and let him know I had found a spot.  He came up and met me there.  As it was around breakfast time, they wouldn’t let us have the sound of the TV on – but using the Kiwi can do attitude, we managed to find some free Wi-Fi and stream a radio broadcast using the Tune in Radio App on the iPad.  Genius.  The game was a bit of a fizzer, but still fun to watch – and we had another kiwi by the name of Peter (from Wellington) join us at half time so that was cool too.  We had a spot of lunch there after the game and then Rob & joan decided they would go back to the hotel to get some rest.  I jumped on the subway and did a mission to the waterfront to watch the Redbull Cliff diving series.  It was cool.  Heaps of people were there and some amazing diving.  I initially tried to get into the Grandstand area underneath the divers, but was told it was too packed, so I walked around the building to the other side, and noticed a bunch of people using a small gap in the fence to get in there, so I followed them.  Once inside I walked up to the opposite gate to get a wristband so that I could buy alcohol. 

 I stayed there and had a drink and then decided that I would get a better view from the side of the wharf.  Where I was, was good, but you couldn’t tell when the guys were going to jump because I was under and behind the platform.  So I walked around to the side of the wharf.  I stayed there for a while and then noticed a bar a little further along.  They had a nice outdoor area with good views and TV’s rigged up showing the action and replays and stuff – so that looked like a bit of me.  I cruised up there and past a bunch of security at different posts along the way, and then made it to this awesome area.  I couldn’t understand why it was not busier, then I noticed everybody had black Redbull wristbands as well as the grey wristband that I had received earlier in the other place.  I watched the bar for a minute and noticed that nobody was paying for anything.  Ha ha classic, I had blagged my way into the Redbull hospo area, without even noticing or trying.  Turns out the cheap travel watch/wristband I have been wearing looked remarkably similar to the ones the other people were wearing – SCORE!  So I went up to the bar and got a beer – no cash changed hands, no questions asked.  I then chilled in there for the rest of the afternoon, keeping one hand in my pocket so just part of my black wristband was showing, and smashed back a few beers in the sun – quietly chuffed with myself.  

 I was frickin roasting though – so after watching a bunch of dives I decided I would walk back into the city and get out of the sun, then meet up with R & J at Macy’s as it was the final day of a sale.   I met them in the city and we did some shopping for a few hours – I picked up a few good scores.  Joan also brought a new big suitcase – So I got to borrow a duffle bag they have been using – which I really need now as I am all out of space – and this gives me a bit more breathing space to get some more goodies.   We then went and had some dinner at a Chinese place.  Now I am back home and going to have a bit of an early night (it’s 10pm local time) maybe watch a movie on the laptop, but take it easy after a couple of big nights out.   Tomorrow is my last day in Boston, I am going to go and take that tour of Fenway Park in the morning, then meet R & J and go and do the Freedom Trail walk.   So it should be another great day in a city that has really impressed me.  Take it easy everyone. Miz J
Oh yeah - one more thing, I was wearing my Eastbound and Down T-Shirt today, and it was classic, I got heaps of favourable comments from people all day. (Cheers Elwood)

1 comment:

Steve said...

Blagging into free hospo = legend.