Monday 8 August 2011

Time to catch up on the last few days

So, A few days back Rowan, Jodi, Jussie and I all got up in the morning and loaded our things into the rental car for our road trip.  Rowan was our designated driver and he did a wonderful job.  Sally the GPS lady was much less helpful, and so we did a Tiki tour of Manhattan for a while, but that was cool anyway.  Eventually we got out on the road, we passed a strip club that was the original 'Bada Bing' from the Soprano's which was exciting, but I was not quick enough to get a photo.  We stopped at a roadside diner for a spot of brunch, it was your classic American diner food, same of our choices were better than others.
We continued on our way to Andover.  The route we took, took us through New Jersey, then through PA, and back into New York state.  We actually smuggled fireworks across the State line which is apparently illegal.  When I say fireworks it was really only a few Sparklers, so I'm pretty sure we would have got off lightly, had we been caught. Anyway - the Fireworks store was amazing - I noticed a couple of billboards on the way, saying it was coming up, and suggested we stopped.  So we did.  We turned off the highway and come across a McDonald's, a petrol station and a huge fireworks warehouse.  An odd combination of stores I thought, and should the day come when there is a fire, I think the Fireworks place and the petrol station will get on, just fine.  There were wall to wall fireworks - and boxes that were bigger than me.  It was so exciting.
We got back on the road, and made our way to Andover.  We passed some Amish people on horse and cart which was a sight you don't see in NZ, and got us all excited.  We then made out way to where we stayed for the last few days, (and from where I am writing the Blog this morning.)  It is a really lovely farm stay run by Dana and Jim Kruiser.  They have a couple of Dogs - one is a Great Dane and is the size of a small horse.  They also have goats, ducks, alpacha's, humming birds and all manner of wildlife.  It has been an extreme change from the bustle of New York city, to the serenity of upstate New York , but its a beautiful spot.  The first evening we arrived we went down to see Steve and Cyan and meet the rest of Cyan's family.  We had a wedding rehearsal and checked out the farm.  You can really see why Cyan is such an amazing woman, when you see the family and surroundings she comes from.  You can also see why she misses it so much sometimes, and loves to return.  It is nothing short of breathtaking.  We had a few drinks with the family, and some amazing chicken wings and pizza, then we left and got out of there hair.  The following day (Friday 5th by now) We went into the small town of Wellsville and looked around K-Mart and stuff, then went back to the Corwines house.  We had a lovely swim in the pond - which was amazing, until I found out later about the snakes swimming in there,  I was pleased I didn't know that at the time, although they are small and harmless, i would have really squealed if I had felt anything on my legs, I did feel some strange things, but told myself it was swamp weeds.

By now there were a few more kiwi's invading Andover, so we all sat around in the sun, had some beers, and helped out, where possible, with the wedding prep.
Saturday 6th of August:  Steve and Cyan got married.  I have mentioned earlier on Face book that I don't want to say to much about the wedding, or post pictures here, as it is to much of a public forum, and I want to respect their privacy.  I will say however, that there was a bit of rain in the morning - It stopped right on time for the ceremony, and stayed away for the rest of the day - It was beautiful, and a great day was had by all.
Sunday 7th August: I was given the task of helping Steve finish the kegs.  We managed to knock one of the three off, which was a pretty good effort.  The day was mixed with massive downpours of rain and then hot steamy sun.  So we sat in under the marquees and sipped away.  It was a really nice day, and a great chance for us to all reflect on the previous day, and have deep and meaningfuls with our wonderful mate.   Our Kiwi friends popped in and out during the day, to say there farewells, and we wished them all safe travels.  So that has basically been that over the last few days, a wonderful time in the countryside, celebrating two of the best people alive.  Today, Rowan, Jodi and I drive up to Niagara Falls, they are dropping me off there, (I'm meeting up with Rob & Joan again which will be great) and then they go onto Toronto. 
So I'm off to Canada for a week or so - and really looking forward to it.  Catch ya soon.
D miz.

No comments: