Wednesday 3 August 2011

Goodnight New York

Bit of a slow start today after last nights shinanigans' and I might have to keep this one short, as we have an early rise and road trip tomorrow up to Wellsville for the wedding - But just be rest assured that I'm sitting here, wearing a 'durag' a Yankees cap and shorts, while listening to Don Henley and the Eagles singing "New York Minute".  It's such a cliche, but I have totally fallen in love with this city. 
Anyway, Jussie and I missioned up to Harlem today - it was very cool to check out, but quite freaky, at the same time.  I mean, all the people we saw were probably really friendly if you took the time to talk to them, but it's one of those times when you really don't want to look like a tourist. So I didn't take any photos at all, or check out maps. Here is one that I sneaked in though;
Anyway, Jussie and I went and had a spot of breakfast at a place called "Sylvia's Diner" and it was incredible.  http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/restaurants.html. Spike Lee filmed a scene from 'Jungle Fever' there.  We sat at the counter and the people were lovely.  It was a great breakfast too, and a legendary spot in Harlem.  I was also wearing a Kenny Powers Eastbound and Down T-shirt at the time, and if you know anything about that show, you will know that it's probably not the best t-shirt for a 'cracker' from New Zealand to be wearing around Harlem - Anyways it was all good.
We then went and checked out the top of Central Park (North End).  Following this, Jussie went back to where she was staying in Brooklyn, and I cruised back to my hotel.    Once there, I decided I would take some time to chill out for the afternoon, it was hot, my feet were sore, and I have been here for 9 days with little sleep, so I took an afternoon nap (Translates too = I was hung over from drinking massive beers out of polystyrene cups the night before.)  During this time I also re-organised the tickets for Sister Act.  I went out and got Hot dogs from 'Papaya Dogs" which was a place that one of the salesman from the apple store put me onto - he writes a blog about 'street meat' and told me it was the place to go. (Gotta love the local recommendations) http://streetmeatnation.blogspot.com/
I then met up with Jussie again and we headed up to go and see Sister Act.  We bumped into Janine and Paul there which was out of it, and they managed to get tickets as well, which was cool.  It was another great show - as I have said before they are all cool for different reason's but this one was really funny, good tunes and amazing sets. (Thanks again R & J - You guys are legends).  A slightly annoying thing about it though was that there were a few 'chatty' people in the audience, people checking their phones, going to the restrooms, sneaky photo's being taken, and I couldn't help but think that this may be one of those shows that has been on for a while, and so tourist's get half price tickets or something, and don't give it the respect it deserves.  I think it's rude - that's all.  Anyway it was amazing.
Oh Yeah, there was a bit of a rain storm this evening, (so I was able to wear my new NY Yankees jacket, which I was enjoying) anyway, when we got out of the theatre we thought we would go and check out the Empire State building with Janine and Paul, so we missioned down there.  Once there, the guy told us it wouldn't be worth it as it would be like looking at a white wall, so we had a night cap in the bar downstairs instead.
Here is the photo, I took from underneath it - around midnight.
So, I hailed a taxi, and we came back to the hotel,  met Lezmond and Jodi for a night cap, then called it a night.  I am sad it's my last night here - but i am definitely coming back.  In some ways I'm glad i didn't get up the Empire State building because it means i have a reason to come back and visit.  (To be honest I have heaps of reasons to come back!!) 

Look after yourself New York - I will see you soon, and See you soon Steve and Cyan, I love you two so much, and I cant wait to share one of the biggest days of your life with you - I feel totally honoured to be one of the best men.

2 comments:

James Faction said...

LOL! You even look a little bit like Kenny Powers. ;)

Steve said...

Sounds amazing bro, stoked that you're enjoying yourself! Wish I could be there.