Sunday 14 August 2011

Ribs To Die For

Today we did some more chilling and hanging aboot (That’s Canadian for about).  Joan went with her sister in law and nieces to the USA to look for a wedding dress, and Rob and I returned some things to stores for various reasons and went searching for unsecured internet connections.   Late in the afternoon, Joan’s brother Jim picked us up and drove us to the ‘Tunnel Bar-B-Que’ to meet the others for dinner.   The BBQ is in Windsor, which is on the Detroit River and the bridge to the USA is the busiest boarding crossing for traffic in the world.   There is also a tunnel across to Detroit and the restaurant sits above said tunnel.

Now I was told that the ribs were amazing, and boy oh boy they sure were!!  I wish I could have smell or taste a vision in this blog because I am lost for words to describe them.  They were the best ribs I have ever tasted and I chowed down on them big time.  The restaurant has been famous for them since they opened in 1947.   We had dinner with Joan’s family, her brother Jim, his wife Janine, and their two daughters Jill and Jennifer (They have a dog called Justice, their previous two dogs were called Judge & Jury).  Are you noticing a theme here??  Jennifer’s fiancé Kyle also joined us for dinner.   We then drove back to the cottage via Jim’s house to pick up our rental car.  On the way back to the cottage Joan asked if I have been having a good time and whether I was bored or not – as they have been ‘dragging me all over Ontario”.  I can honestly say I have not been bored at all, it’s been great seeing the places that Joan grew up and the friends she made while living here, putting names to faces and all that sort of stuff.   It’s also been cool spending some quality time with Rob & Joan rather than just a couple of days here or there.  The other thing is that it has been a nice bit of respite between New York and my travels ahead in Toronto, Boston, Las Vegas and LA, but after saying all that, I don’t think I could do another week here. J
On the drive back to the cottage we also talked about the electrical storm, and how it has been a shame I didn’t get to catch one.  There was a clear sky and a great big full moon out.   I took a picture of it;

About an hour or so later, our wishes came true and an amazing storm passed by on the lake.   Sheet and forked lightning like I have never seen before, it was incredible.  We turned off the lights in the house and sat in the front room watching it for a while.   I took some video footage, but it was pretty hard to capture as you never know where the next strike will hit, and just have to try your luck.  I edited it into a little video, which I will post on Facebook.  We then all retired to bed.  I was having a patchy sleep and awoke at around 4am to heaps of flashing in my room.  I looked out and another storm had developed across the lake, and this one was incredible too as it was far away and the lightning was coming down to the ground, as well as being a different colour from a distance.  I got up and watched it for an hour or so.  It is pretty mesmerising and I can sort of understand why people chase storms – although that’s on another level all together.  I also took some video footage of that storm too. (On Facebook)
Today we are going out on Jim’s boat.  It is overcast here today, (after the storms) but the lake is flat which is good.  We are then going out for dinner again with the family.  We are all packed up and ready to go so we can leave for Toronto first thing in the morning, I am looking forward to checking it out and also meeting this DJ friend of mine called Nathan Beers, whom Kylie and I did a track with (‘Heading on a mission’) many years ago over the internet, and neither of us ever met him.  We are hopefully going to try and record a track while I am there.
So that’s all from me for now, my next blog will be from Toronto.  Stay well one and all.  Much Love, Mizzle.
PS:  I see the big issues over in NZ at the moment are the government inquiry into the price of milk and an issue with Adidas overpricing the All Blacks jerseys – ah I miss you NZ. J

2 comments:

Imogen said...

More like SNOW IN WELLINGTON. Thats the news... ;)

D Miz said...

Ha Ha - Yeah I see that, just about everyone i know in Wellington has posted something about it - 1/2 of me is sad to have missed such an event - the other half is rapt to be sitting here in shorts and a t shirt ha ha