Monday 1 August 2011

New York Yankee's -

Wow what a cool day today!! Not temperature wise, as it was far from cool.  I got up and packed all my gears etc, checked out of my hotel and into the new one.  Before checking out, I looked for Yankees tickets online.  I was having a bit of trouble so I went and spoke to the concierge about it.  She told me I could get tickets for $50 each through her.  She then said she wasn't really supposed to tell me, but that I should go to this ticket website and look there as it would be heaps cheaper.  I ended up scoring 4 tickets for 10 dollars each, which seemed like a great deal.  I also brought us tickets for the World trade center museum for Monday afternoon. Next I took my things down to the new place we are staying at, the Yotel in New York, which has just opened and so its all very new and fresh.  I met Jussie, Lezmond and Rowan there.  We couldn't check in as the rooms were not ready but we were able to store our bags away.
We then went and met up with Steve and his travelling crew, and took a wander around Central Park, which was nice.
Then Jussie, Lezmond and I, went to catch the train to Yankee Stadium!!! After a little hiccup finding the right subway train we eventually got on the right one.  It was nuts, because it was game day, the train was packed, so we really got to immerse ourselves into the experience. We got off at stop 161 in the Bronx and followed the crowd down to the stadium.  By this stage we were all very excited, and the whole energy and vibe of the place was incredible.
Walking through the gates and up the stairs into the stadium was awesome, my eyes were popping out of my head.  It was so Fricking cool!!  What an amazing stadium, I am so glad I got to go to a game, and it was a great bunch of people to share it with too.
It's a really well designed stadium, easy to get around, easy to get beers, and for $10 tickets, we had amazing seats on the bleachers.  The only slightly bad thing was the heat - we were roasting in the midday sun, and every time a cloud came over the crowd were cheer.   The atmosphere is primo, the classic organ music, huge big screens with all sorts of action on them, hot dog sellers, candy floss and peanut vendors, everything you imagine it will be.  Everyone stood while they sang "God Bless America" which we followed up with a couple of lines from  "God of Nations", (a few more beers and it could have got ugly - ha ha).  They then played "Take me out to the ball game" and the crowd sung along - so cliche, but so so cool!
The Yankees won the game, (I think) we left before the last innings as we were hot and sweaty and wanted to beat the crowds.  We hopped in a cab and headed back into the city to check into our hotel.  Once we got back we all had the best showers of our lives, and then met back up at the hotel bar.  Its a really cool outdoor bar, so we settled in there for a while. We then popped out for a bite to eat, before heading back to the bar.  All in all, it was one of the best days EVER!! I'm so glad to have gone to a Yankees game at Yankee stadium, A lifelong dream - ticked off the bucket list. 

1 comment:

Imogen said...

When i was in San Fran the Football world cup was on. I went to a pub to watch Ghana play the U.S... throughout the game the punters CHANTED (i kid you not) USA, USA, USA. It was just like in the movies… When Ghana scored their final goal a bottle of Jack Daniels was handed round the bar so everyone could take a swing, and possibly my most favorite moment. When the USA realised they had once and for all lost- the bar erupted into the national anthem. What can i say.. America Fuck Yeah!